ReLEx SMILE Small Incision Lenticule Extraction
SMILE, which stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction, is a relatively new minimally invasive laser refractive surgery technique that utilizes the Carl Zeiss VisuMax femtosecond laser system. It can correct up to 1000 degrees of nearsightedness and 500 degrees of astigmatism. Due to its different principles compared to traditional LASIK laser refractive surgery, the SMILE procedure is faster, the incision is smaller, and postoperative dry eye conditions are milder compared to LASIK. It also avoids the creation of corneal flaps, eliminating flap-related issues. These advantages have made SMILE a popular choice, and as of 2022, there have been over 7 million cases of SMILE performed worldwide.
ReLEx SMILE Small Incision Lenticule Extraction Process
ReLEx SMILE Small Incision Lenticule Extraction Benefits
- The procedure can be completed for both eyes in as little as 4-5 minutes.
- The laser refractive surgery process eliminates the need to create a corneal flap, resulting in a reduction of over 80% in wound size.
- The laser refractive surgery process is safe and generally does not cause any discomfort or sensations of discomfort.
- Since the refractive correction process does not involve laser ablation, there is no smell of burning during the correction procedure.
- After the refractive correction, there is no need to worry about the possibility of displacement of the corneal flap due to intense physical activity or impact.
- The refractive correction results are highly stable, and the satisfaction rate with visual improvement is close to 100%.
- Refractive correction can help reduce the occurrence of postoperative dry eye conditions and the risk of infection.
It can correct up to a maximum of 1000 degrees of nearsightedness and 500 degrees of astigmatism.
Book A TalkBook Now
To inquire about scheduling a seminar or lecture with an ophthalmologist specializing in different vision correction options and to have the opportunity for on-site consultation regarding your vision correction questions, you can call 6888 8811 or make an online reservation for the vision correction seminar. If you prefer to make an online reservation, please fill out the form below. Our center will confirm your reservation via phone or email.Book Now
What is Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (Smile XTRA) surgery?
The purpose of Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (Smile XTRA) surgery is to strengthen the cornea by increasing the number of "anchors" that connect collagen fibers together. This enhances the resilience of the cornea and reduces the damage to the corneal layers during the vision correction process. The doctor will apply an eye solution containing vitamin B2 (riboflavin) to the patient's eyes and then expose the eyes to UVA light for approximately 1 minute. This process allows the collagen proteins within the corneal fibers to bond together, achieving corneal cross-linking and strengthening.
Who needs to undergo Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (Smile XTRA) surgery?
- Individuals with relatively thin corneas.
- Individuals who require simultaneous correction with SMILE/LASIK due to a higher degree of nearsightedness.
- Individuals who need to strengthen their corneas to reduce the chances of regression in their refractive correction.
- Individuals with keratoconus or corneal degeneration.
Is Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (Smile XTRA) surgery necessary?
It is not necessary, and the doctor will provide recommendations based on your specific eye condition. If you have relatively thin corneas or a higher degree of nearsightedness, the doctor may advise you to undergo Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (Smile XTRA) surgery first to strengthen your corneas and reduce the risk of post-correction regression.