Implantable Contact Lens Surgery
Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) surgery is an alternative to external contact lenses. It is used to correct the vision of patients with severe myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. Unlike the traditional contact lenses, ICL are surgically implanted between the iris and the natural lens. As the procedure does not require cutting into the cornea, ICL surgery provides a great alternative for those whose cornea is unsuitable for Laser Refractive Surgery in Hong Kong.
Effective and non-invasive, ICL surgery is a permanent vision-correcting procedure that only takes 5-10 minutes. The ICL surgery is also reversible and has a very short recovery time, with many people able to resume their daily activities within a few days. From all the necessary pre-surgery preparations to post-surgery care, ICL surgery is conducted by our ophthalmologists at Clarity SMILE LASIK Centre in Hong Kong. Implantable Contact Lens surgery will restore your vision and improve the quality of your everyday life in Hong Kong.
The Process of Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) Surgery
The doctor will first administer numbing eye drops in the patient’s eye, and then cut a small incision (about 3 mm) in the patient’s cornea. Through the incision, the doctor will inject a medical lubricant to protect the eye tissue, and then implant the lens between the iris and natural lens. The ICL surgery serves its vision-correcting purpose by placing the lens directly onto the eyes.
Advantages of Implantable Contact Lens Surgery
The most significant benefit of ICL surgery is that it is “restorative” and non-invasive. This means that ICL can be removed and replaced at any time and will not cause damage to the corneal tissue or change the structure of your eye. ICL is also made from Collamer®, a highly biocompatible material made from purified collagen and polymer. This significantly reduces the chance of rejection or infection as the body will not process the lens as a foreign body.
ICL surgery only takes 5-10 minutes to complete, along with a relatively short recovery time and reduced risk of rejection. The lens is also less likely to cause dry eyes, ideal for those suffering from chronic dry eyes. With such a tiny, painless wound, you can live with these contact lenses for a lifetime without any discomfort.
In addition, there is no impact on activities such as swimming or diving after implantation, and it is particularly suitable for those who work in disciplined services. Many people report being able to return to work within a few days. ICL surgery at Clarity SMILE LASIK Centre in Hong Kong can correct:
- Myopia up to -18.00D
- Hyperopia up to +10.00D
- Astigmatism under 6.00D
People Eligible for ICL Surgery Hong Kong
- People who are suffering from a high degree of myopia or hyperopia or deep astigmatism
- People who are unable to qualify for Laser Refractive Surgery
- People who are suffering from dry eyes
- People who have thin corneas
- People who want to reduce the dependence on glasses or contact lenses
- People who are working or want to work in disciplined services
Preparations Before Surgery
- Soft contact lenses wearers need to stop wearing them 1-2 weeks prior to the surgery.
- Rigid Gas Permeable lenses (RGP) wearers need to stop wearing them 3-4 weeks prior to the surgery.
- If you have any drug allergies, please inform your medical personnel in advance.
On the Day of Surgery
- It is best to have family or friends for company.
- Do not put on any facial makeup.
- Do not use any type of volatile or aromatic products like fragrance or cologne.
- Wear open-chested tops like a button-up shirt or blouse. Do not wear a pull-over top.
- Before the surgery, the optometrist and doctor will perform the last diopter examination in order to check and confirm all information and data.
- The surgery will only require local anesthesia. Please try not to move or speak during the process.
- Surgery on each eye only requires 5-10 minutes to be completed.
- Patients and their friends and family will need to stay for around 4-5 hours.
Care After ICL Surgery
|The First 24 Hours||The First Week|
|Get sufficient rest and sleep immediately after the surgery||Avoid wearing eye makeup|
|Wear an eyepatch during sleep||Avoid getting shampoo or soap into your eyes|
|Do not wash your hair in the first 24 hours||Avoid getting fragrance/ hair spray into your eyes|
|Never rub your eyes||Only take drugs prescribed by doctors|
|Do not go swimming or do steam-bathing|
|Avoid doing vigorous exercises like dancing and ball games|
|Avoid getting dust/ foreign matter into your eyes.|
|Wear sunglasses in outdoor areas|
|Avoid drinking and smoking|
|Avoid going to places with poor air quality|
Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) Surgery Price
For one eye, implantable contact lenses cost HKD 45,000 (monocular)
For both eyes, it will cost HKD 80,000. This includes 5 necessary post-surgery review sessions to monitor the effects on your eye condition.
Interested in getting ICL surgery in Hong Kong? Contact us today.